SUMMER HOME MAINTENANCE CHECKLIST
Summer is just around the corner so it’s important to get your home ready for our area’s notorious heat, humidity and thunderstorms. Tackle these jobs now so that you and your family can enjoy the longer days knowing that your home is in great shape!
- Get your cooling system ready. Have your HVAC serviced so that your system lasts longer and performs as energy-efficiently as possible. You don’t want to be calling for a repair and waiting when the temps and humidity are sky high!
- Change the filter in your air conditioner.
- Dust your ceiling fan blades. Easy tip: attach a dryer sheet to a paint roller so you can reach easily and remove all the dust.
- Reverse the direction of your ceiling fans: You want your blades spinning COUNTERCLOCKWISE in the summer, where they will push the air down to keep the room cool. To check: turn off the fan, wait for it to stop completely, find the direction switch and check that it is spinning counterclockwise.
- Check your attic and basement for issues. In the attic, look for dampness, mildew, mold, leaks, holes in the roof….and pests. In the basement, check for leaks, pests, mold and mildew.
- Get garden ready: check your hoses..you can waste a lot of water even with a tiny hole. Use electrical tape to repair or replace with a new one.
- Clean out your gutters and downspouts. Trapped debris can impede the flow of water off and away from your house and cause water damage. If you have a basement and drain in the stairwell leading to it from outside, remove any debris from the drain.
- Protect your home from unwanted guests. (No, not the in-laws) From snakes to squirrels, keep your home closed off to animals who are not your pets.
- Cover any holes or access points more than ¼ inch wide
- Get your tree branches trimmed so they don’t create a highway to your attic for squirrels. Branches should be at least 8 feet from your roofline.
- Tend to any leftover yard debris: leaves and twigs are a haven for animals to nest and gain access to your home.
- Wash your windows and wash/change your screens. Hot soapy water and a brush can make your screens look like new.
- Lastly, trim bushes and plants, paying special attention to the areas around your AC unit.
For licensed, insured home improvement service providers who can help with any of these tasks, please reach out to us.
HAVE A GREAT SUMMER!